ADSM-L

Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted - Resolved

2003-06-12 13:44:50
Subject: Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted - Resolved
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:42:36 -0500
Geoffrey,

I was waiting to see if someone with more experience answered you.

I did not follow a "by the book" procedure but developed one for my
particular situation based on my knowledge of TSM and my understanding of
the implications of the individual steps.  That's what I meant by "risk"
in my original message.

In a nutshell, you want to:
1) ensure that you have EVERYTHING you need - DB backup, config files,
etc. - to get back to "now";
2) ensure that you have everything you need to go back to "then" before
you start;
3) ensure that you safeguard any data / media used between the two dates.

Start with what you have now and work through scenarios of how to get from
A to B.  Write down the steps, and think about what each step will do and
how you would recover after it completes.

In my case, I missed the volume history file and exported the data to be
recovered over an incremental DB backup.  There was no real loss due to my
having taken full backups after that incremental, but the system chose
that tape almost at random and the result could have been much more
severe.

Also, I did not know going in that TSM would launch a full DB backup
immediately after a DB restore.  Our DB has 28 GB of data in a 34 GB
database, and each full backup takes one full hour.  Restores occur at
"half" speed so each DB restore took two hours.  Add that up and it means
I spent 1+ 2+ 1+ 2 + 1 = 7 hours waiting for paint to dry just on the DB
operations alone.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram LLC

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
06/12/2003 09:10 AM