ADSM-L

TSM LTO 3580 Performance

2003-06-12 09:12:14
Subject: TSM LTO 3580 Performance
From: Colby Morgan <cmorgan AT DATA-TRONICS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:11:51 -0500
We in the process of moving to an IBM 3580 external LTO drive for manual
offsite vaulting of primary storage pools.  I have read several older
reports on http://msgs.adsm.org about poor performance with TSM, LTO and
small files.  We are experiencing the same behavior and I was just curious
if anybody has ran into this lately.  We see about 10-15GB/hour with small
files and 42-57GB/hour on larger files.

We are running TSM 5.1.6.5 on Win2k SP3.  The drive is an external IBM 3580
and is the only device hooked to an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller.  We are
also running v5.0.5.4 of the IBM 3580 drivers.

I maxed out the following server options (which helped):
MoveBatchSize     1000
TxnGroupMax             256

I also set the drive parameters via ntutil as described in this Redbook
(which also helped):
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/pdfs/sg246268.pdf

Anybody else ran into these problems?

Thanks,