ADSM-L

Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted

2003-06-11 13:05:33
Subject: Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:04:09 -0400
Brief answer:

If you know which tapes had this data AND you know those
tapes haven't been reused, then you can do this.  You dont' need both
onsite and offsite tapes, if either one exists, that will be sufficient.

Basically make a DB backup now.  Then restore your system from
the DB backup tape that Sunday backup.
Then restore data.  Youmay have to get offsite tapes etc.etc.
to have tapes in library that are needed and set them to correct state.

After restore is complete, restore your system back to your current
state with the DB backup you made today.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM 06/11/03 09:35AM >>>
TSM Server 5.1.6.5 on AIX 4.3.3 ML-11

While cleaning up old data in our TSM system, we deleted a filespace from
which a year-end snapshot had been taken.  Upon the deletion of the
filespace, TSM notified us that both the primary tape and the copy tape
had toggled to "pending" status.  This occurred on Monday during our
weekly maintenance cycle.

The last prior DB backup is from Sunday morning. We have taken daily DB
backups since and will take another today.

Is there any way to recover that tape's data?  I've thought about rolling
the system back to Sunday, but I would have to eventually roll it forward
to today to prevent orphaning the backups that have occurred since then.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram LLC

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.