ADSM-L

AW: anyone using ATA disk systems

2003-06-11 08:51:24
Subject: AW: anyone using ATA disk systems
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:52:47 +0200
generally speaking,

a disk subsystem represents a low granular data store.
Inspite of Raid and redundant power supplies,
you still have a single point of failure,
it can fail as a whole due to surge, firmeware or cabling error
or due to anything alse.
In this case you will loose all data.

Assuming you have primary storage pools on one ATA array
and Backup Pools on another ATA in another location,
you will loose (only) redundancy - but then all of it at once.

Comparing to it
a bunch of backup storage pool tapes saved in a safe
represent a higher-granular data store,
where you will normally loose only single tape(s) thus
only part of your redundancy.
... unless you consider a whole-safe disaster, which is
less probable comparing to whole-ata disaster,
but still possible.

On the other side, depending on technology used and care
it can be easier to loose (part of) data from one tape
comparing to loosing it from an raid-ed disk.

Is either of it it a problem or not?
Consult your business requirements.

regards
Juraj Salak