ADSM-L

Re: Experience with rename filespace

2003-06-10 10:24:11
Subject: Re: Experience with rename filespace
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:23:48 -0400
>Richard,
>Thanks,
> I had done the query filespaces and checked that they were unicode in both
>cases but missed the very small differences in the hexadecimal filespace name.
>So If I had renamed the old filespaces using the hexadecimal option, would TSM
>then have been happy and not created new FSID's

All tea leaves point to it being happy with a hex rename.

>Is there a query  that would give you the new hex name, before the first
>backup,
>or would you
>have to backup a file in each of the new drives to get the new hex names, make
>note of them, then delete the new filespaces and rename the old using the new
>hex names.

Until the first backup, you don't know what the heck the client really has,
In cooperative filespace renaming situations like you encountered, the best
bet is to have the client do a trivial, single-file backup first with their
new file system (disk letter): if it goes into the prevailing server filespace,
no issue; if it creates a new one, you have something to examine.

>This seems very convoluted.

Well, that's why we get paid so much.

   Richard Sims, BU

       "Don't trust Ashcroft."