ADSM-L

Re: Linux Server Distributions

2003-06-06 12:54:52
Subject: Re: Linux Server Distributions
From: Mitch Sako <msako AT CADENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:54:25 -0700
The two enterprise distributions are prohibitively expensive unless I know they
are going to work for sure.  I just paid $600US for SuSE ES7 yesterday and I'm
hoping that it works.  The problem with RH72 is the 2.4.9-31 kernel.  It is
disfunctional with our hardware (IBM x235) configuration.

What I would like to really see is one blackbox clean version of Debian
supported
with a clean kernel from kernel.org.  I really don't like using commercial
kernels (especially Redhat and SuSE to a lesser extent, also) because of
contamination issues.  The RH AS is a non-starter because of the immaturity of
the product.  It's just way too primitive (perhaps it has too many training
wheels) for us.