ADSM-L

Re: Opinions anyone?

2003-06-01 20:00:31
Subject: Re: Opinions anyone?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:49:50 +0300
I always thought TSM is not so much CPU intensive. The main CPU
consumption is to drive I/O. In the past in IBM manuals there was info how
much load each adapter can put on the processor. Even if I have not seen
such info recently, does not automatically mean it does not exist. CPUs
are getting faster but the adapters are faster too.

Back to the topic: I would expect 2x [email protected] GHz be fine for your
load. 4 processors can be better but maybe not necessary right now. As you
need 2-way box with room for upgrade to 4-way, you may also consider
pSeries 630.

The disks: if you are having Shark (IBM ESS) and are already using it for
TSM - better stay with it. FAStT 700 is not bad but ESS is better. I would
disagree in part with Roger - I agree that TSM DB performance is over the
half of the deal but would rather recommend to keep TSM DB on Shark and
use FAStT for diskpool(s). ESS with its big memory cache shines on random
reads/writes while FAStT is good for streams of incoming backups or
migrated data. One or two ranks of ESS, preferable not shared (having no
other LUNs) with other applications, would serve you just fine.

If you move all those 0.5 TB over the LAN - use more than one LAN adapter.
If you have servers making big part of daily backups - consider moving
them to LAN-free.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Leonard Lauria <Leonard AT UKY DOT EDU>