ADSM-L

Re: TDP 4 MSSQL restore

2003-05-30 14:26:49
Subject: Re: TDP 4 MSSQL restore
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:26:07 -0400
Del,

About what size SQL DB would be considered "Very Large"?

David Longo

>>> hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM 05/30/03 02:24PM >>>
Vladimir,

Yes.  I know what the problem is.

There is a known situation that you must handle
when restoring very large SQL databases.

Basically, this is what happens:

1. The database is started to be restored.
   A small amount of data is restored from the TSM Server.

2. The SQL server looks at that data and sets up the database
   according to the information that it finds in first part
   of the backup data. The SQL Server preformats the files.
   If the database is large... the preformatting and initialization
   of the files could take a long time. The SQL Server is spending
   most of the time preformatting the files.

3. After the SQL Server is done preformatting the files,
   it continues restoring the rest of the data.

The SQL Server is still working to preformat the files
when the COMMTIMEOUT on the server times out and cancels
the operation.

The way to get around this issue is to increase the
COMMTIMEOUT value to something very large.
It needs to be large enough to allow the SQL Server
to finish preformatting the files.

Increase the COMMTIMEOUT to something very large
(like 5 hours which is 18000 seconds)

then... retry the restore.

This is known issue and there is a requirement opened
against the TSM Server to allow COMMTIMEOUT
to be set on a NODENAME basis... since you don't
normally want to set COMMTIMEOUT that large
for all nodes.

By the way, it is also documented in the IBM Support Solutions
Database under reference # 1079494.

Thanks,

Del

> I have TSM 5.1.5+TDP and MSSQL 2000.
> TDP backups went just fine. Now it comes to restore.
> I have no problems restoring something small, like Northwind database.
But most of my
> databases are like 60+ Gb.
> So, i click restore, then I can see tape mounted in my 3583 slot, then
nothing... after
> committimeout i receive following:
> Message: ANR0481W Session 18 for node SQL-1 (TDP MSSQL) terminated -
client did not respond > within 600 seconds.
> I've tried to set committimeout up to 1 hr, but that didn't help either.

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.