ADSM-L

Re: Whizzy ways to backup San clients in Mainframe scenario

2003-05-30 10:46:19
Subject: Re: Whizzy ways to backup San clients in Mainframe scenario
From: John Naylor <john.naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:42:10 +0100
Tsmers,
I have since done a bit more research on this, and the answer as far as I can
see is that standard backup via gigabit ethernet link is best bet.
For interest you may like to know that lan free backup will be available for
os3909 in 5.2 release.
Not straight forward though, you need another TSM instance on a SANergy
compliant server (ie. not  os390) to handle the client aspect of the tapes,
while the server stuff like reclamation would be handled by the os390 TSM.
Anyway lanfree is good for few large files like big databases not for lots of
small files which is what I am looking at.
What will be worth investigating is the possibility of using the client journal
engine on the new win2k servers.
This will be good  if the update level on the new clients is not too high.
John

John Naylor
05/28/2003 12:55 PM