ADSM-L

TSM WinNT Restore Procedures

2003-05-28 11:37:39
Subject: TSM WinNT Restore Procedures
From: Ruth Peters <Ruth.Peters AT WATKINS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:37:00 -0400
Hi TSM-ers,
My TSM server is AIX 5.2.1 with TSM 5.1.6.3
My NT Client is 4.0 with Service Pack 5&6 with TSM 5.1.5.0

I know this issue has come across the board before, however I need to revisit
it. We are in the process of testing our NT 4.0, and 2000 clients in
preparation for our July 2
disaster recovery test. The problem we are having is that we are trying to
restore to a machine with different hardware. We have just implemented NT and
2000
into our TSM backup and recovery process, and this is the first time that we
are attempting a restore. We have successfully restored the 2000 machine but
we are
struggling with the NT recovery.

We have reviewed the recommended redbooks and the Summary BMR Procedures for
Windows NT, however we are still having problems.
I know that TSM only supports Bare Metal restores using Identical hardware,
however I also know that some of you wizards out there have done this. Does
anyone have documentation of these procedures that they don't mind sharing??

Ruth Peters, Dasd Storage Administrator
Watkins Motor Lines, Inc. --IT/HDQ
Ruth.Peters AT watkins DOT com
800-284-4544 Ext. 5452