ADSM-L

Re: Clear text passwords. Was: Automating dsmserv

2003-05-27 15:12:02
Subject: Re: Clear text passwords. Was: Automating dsmserv
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:44:31 -0400
>Is it just me or does everyone think that placing
>sensitive userids and passwords in clear text is just
>a bad thing?

It's bad.

>Not complaining about the procedure here, you gotta do
>what you gotta do, but has anyone complained to IBM
>about requiring clear text passwords for this and
>other scripts?

There is no requirement for passwords to be in scripts - that was
just someone's conventional implementation of a convenience script.
Discretionary halts of the TSM server - as is the case with any daemon
style application - are best done via its conventional adminstrative
means: in TSM that is disabling sessions thereafter doing a Halt.
(Try to avoid thinking that everything running in a Unix environment
should be controllable via some rc script.)

During a TSM install, that process plants a server start-up method
appropriate to the environment, such as /etc/inittab in AIX.
One can emulate whatever that is in a "superuser" invocation to
start the TSM server.  In traditional Unix, halting the TSM server
can be achieved automatically during Unix shutdown via /etc/rc.shutdown ,
wherein that root-accesssible-only script would contain a dsmadmc command
with passsword.  It is also conventional in Unix implementations of the
TSM server that the server shuts itself down cleanly when it receives a
SIGTERM signal (the default signal issued by the Unix 'kill' command).

In thinking about sensitive information related to servers in general,
consider that, pretty much by definition, a server should be physically
secure and not be a system used by ordinary users.  Files containing
sensitive information should have directory and file permissions which
restrict access by those needing it.  And where passwords need apply,
various means can be employed to avoid having to code them into files
(sudo, proxy, etc.).

  Richard Sims, BU