ADSM-L

Re: Node very very slow for incremental backup

2003-05-27 05:45:22
Subject: Re: Node very very slow for incremental backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:14:33 -0400
Synopsis: Very slow incremental backup on NT system, in file system scan.

As suggested by Elenara, anti-virus software is always a factor.
We have no information on the CPU power or disk speed in the PC, but those
can be big contributors; and, as with anti-virus, anything else running in
there taking away CPU power can prolong the backup.  Disk fragmentation can
also slow things.  And don't overlook disk issues, such as a failing disk
or damaged file system: the PC administrator should run some kind of disk
analyzer to check periodically (not just in conspicuous cases like this).
And I will assume that TSM client tracing was turned on only to inspect
this problem, as its activation itself substantially slows performance.
In that you say a Selective backup was not a problem like Incremental, it
may indicate that the PC is severely constrained for real memory - particularly
if something else is running at the same time.

Topic "Backup performance" in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
summarizes other things we've seen impacting backup performance.
I would advise inspecting the Backup log to see if there is a particular
area of the file system where the process is slowing down; if there is
regular progress, based upon consecutive timestamps; whether there are a
lot of retries due to active files, etc.

  Richard Sims, BU