ADSM-L

Re: What happens when TSM backup detects a file is missing/deleted

2003-05-23 07:32:08
Subject: Re: What happens when TSM backup detects a file is missing/deleted
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 07:31:38 -0400
>This may seem a stupid question, but I was just wondering about the sequence of
>events when TSM is doing its backups checking through a file system and finds a
>file, that was there last backup is there no lomger.
>
>1) Are all the backup versions immediately marked inactive in the TSM database
>
>2) Does any deletion of versions take place immediately or does it wait for
>   normal expiration processing.
>
>3) How does this relate to the entries in the  backup statistics
>   number of objects deleted:
>   number of objects expired:

I'd strongly recommend taking some time to read the product manuals to get a
firm basis in the fundamentals of the product.  Recommended:
  Admin Guide manual
  Client manual
  TSM Concepts redbook

1) There could only be one Active version of the file in the TSM database.
   All previous backup copies were Inactive, by definition.  A file now absent
   from the client causes the previous Active version in the db to be marked as
   Inactive.

2) Versions-based expiration occurs at backup time; date-based expiration
   occurs at Expire Inventory time.

3) Covered in the Client manual:

   Total number of objects deleted. This is a count of the objects deleted from
   the client workstation after being successfully backed up to the server. The
   count is zero for all backup commands.
   [This number pertains to Archive operations, where -DELetefiles is used.]

   Total number of objects expired. A count of files that were on the client in
   the last backup, but gone from the client in this backup.  The backup log
   will show Expiring--> for each such file.

 Richard Sims, BU