ADSM-L

Re: Notification

2003-05-21 15:11:29
Subject: Re: Notification
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 08:24:09 -0500
Ditto, speaking for Windows. We use postie and a script given to us by Petur
Eythorsson, a long time poster to this board. I don't have Petur's
permission to distribute the script, but if you search the archives for his
name you may be able to come up with an email address for a request. The
script uses multiple queries to generate a log that is mailed each morning.
It took very little adjusting to get it to work for our environment. We had
to do another adjustment with TSM 5 because of some db structure changes.

For instant messages for running jobs when complete (so I don't have to
watch them), I use some basic Unix tools in DOS. First I query the process
to an out file and the grep for a particular process id. Run that every
minute or so with a scheduler, if the process is not there, postie me a
message to my phone, "Job whatever, complete".

To search error logs on the client side we have a Linux box and we set up
htdig for file searching. htdig is a www search engine software that can be
configured for file searches. I do smbmount to the particular
client/baclient directory and htdig looks for whatever word or number you
like. I have a web page that has options to search a particular client or
all clients for a particular word.

For all other select statements, not being a SQL person, I have picked up a
lot from this board (thanks all). But, the most helpful tool has to be Excel
with ODBC. Just GUI select the tables and fields you want, with sort and
search criteria. If you like to dig into to the select statement, just go to
edit query and BAM, there it is.

I know this was long winded but Reporting and Notification is a sore subject
for me, I agree with you it should be included, but it's not and Tivoli
never said it was, so you have to develop your own.

Thanks to all on this board to the ideas and help that has made it possible
to manage TSM.

Mark Bertrand