ADSM-L

Backupset slow restore

2003-05-21 14:35:42
Subject: Backupset slow restore
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:34:23 -0500
I'm experimenting with backupsets.  My first restore from one is going
very slowly.  Not sure why.  Any help would be appreciated, since I would
like to implement this feature on our production TSM system.

Test TSM System:

Server: TSM 5.1.6.5 on AIX 4.3.3 ML 8; 1-CPU F50, 1.25 GB RAM

Client: TSM 4.1.3.0 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a; Pentium-II @ 350 MHz, 192 MB
Client will be upgraded to ITSM 5.1.x.x as part of the testing.

Backup performance from client to server on the order of 8 MB/s.

Backupset was generated on the server onto two FILE volumes, MaxSized at
250 MB.  Using command line client to restore part of the backupset
("C:\program files") to new location on local C: drive.  Restore
throughput measured via AIX topas is about 100 KB/s. Running time of
restore seems to confirm that performance.

Is this normal?  Is there something about this test that is queering the
performance?

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator