ADSM-L

Minimizing tape contention at DR

2003-05-20 11:11:38
Subject: Minimizing tape contention at DR
From: Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:10:49 -0400
Greetings,

We have been running into restore performance problems at DR, with multiple
clients waiting on the same tape cartridge, and an excessive number of tape
mounts.

We are attempting to minimize the issue with the number of tape mounts by
aggressively reclaiming the offsite storage pools, and have implemented the
SEARCHMPQUEUE option on the server to take advantage of that functionality.

We are considering an additional possibility, which is to make use of the
second copy storagepool by loading those tapes into the library along with
the first copy storagepool.  The question that we have is whether TSM will
utilize an additional copy of an object to satisfy a restore request if the
first copy is on a volume that is "in use" rather than offsite, unavailable
or destroyed.

For example:
       Node1 has files being restored from tape ABC (in stgpool VAULT_1)
       Node2 also has files on tape ABC.
               There are other copies of these objects
               on tape XYZ (in stgpool VAULT_2)

       While tape ABC is in use for the restore of Node1's data, will
       TSM mount tape XYZ to satisfy the restore of Node2's data?

Thanks in advance,

Ted