ADSM-L

Re: Unable to restore bkp vol

2003-05-13 23:53:22
Subject: Re: Unable to restore bkp vol
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:52:59 -0700
The RESTORE with PREVIEW=NO (i.e. the actual restore operation) should
have resulted in a restore to the primary pool of restorable files. The
files that could not be restored are not restored.

HELP ANR1256W shows (in part) that this message could be issued for one of
the following reasons:

   * A restorable backup copy cannot be found for the file.
   * A restorable backup copy of the file exists, but is located on a copy
     storage pool volume whose access mode is unavailable or offsite.
   * During restore processing, a backup copy was selected for restore
     processing, but was deleted or moved before the file was actually
     restored. This action could occur as a result of MOVE DATA, DELETE
     VOLUME, AUDIT VOLUME FIX=YES, or reclamation processing of a copy
     storage pool volume while the restore was in progress.

If there are no copy storage pool volumes with access set to unavailable
or offsite (bullet #2), and if there were no move data, delete volume,
audit volume, or reclamation processes running against a copy pool volume
containing the restorable copy of the file (bullet #3), then you are left
with bullet #1, which means that a restorable copy does not exist. Since
we already know that data was appended to the volume and a subsequent
backup stgpool failed for that volume, we therefore know that some data is
lost.

You can use QUERY CONTENT (use F=D if you wish) to see what files are left
on that volume (suggest redirecting output to a file for future
reference), then delete the volume with DISCARDDATA=YES once you've
confirmed that the files are not restorable. If these were active backup
copies, then the next incremental backup of the affected nodes will make
new active copies. If these were archive copies, you can notify the nodes
owners' that they need to run the archive again.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
05/13/2003 20:25