ADSM-L

Re: new TSM Client Pricing

2003-05-13 18:07:44
Subject: Re: new TSM Client Pricing
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:08:54 -0500
I was just on the phone with TSM licensing folks, and my VAR.

They (the TSM licensing geeks) defined a 'TSM Client'
license as something we would put on a server (something that provides
services
to other computers or multiple concurrent users).

A 'TSM Desktop' was defined as a computer that provides service only to one
user that logs onto its console.  There is also the 'TSM Server', that runs
the
TSM server software, and typically is ALSO a 'TSM Client' (why does this
makes me think of the 'Hairclub for Men' TV commercial?).

Example 1: I have an internal customer that has a desktop PC.  This desktop
computer
is running Windows 2000 Professional (a desktop, not a server OS).  But
since
it has a modem, and other computers dial into it (just to upload/download
files),
it is considered a SERVER, NOT a DESKTOP, for licensing purposes.

Example 2: But my Win98 desktop computer, that no one else uses locally or
remotely, is
a DESKTOP for licensing purposes.  Because it only serves the individual
currently
logged in at its console.

Clear as mud? ... I thought so!

Also, evidently there is just now forming a team to help with license
conversions from 'old licenses'
to 'new license' (i.e. old tier 1 windows client was allowed 1 to 4
processors, and the new licenses
are per processor).  It is my understanding that they will be 'adjusting'
the inventory to show you have
not just 4 processors per client, but the number of processors you are using
per old client license.

This was no official statement, just an indication from an IBM techie that
does licensing and his
current understanding of how it will work.

So do an inventory of your equipment so you know what you are using.

... Enjoy.