ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli GUID

2003-05-13 11:25:39
Subject: Re: Tivoli GUID
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:25:10 -0700
The GUIDs are intended to help uniquely identify a particular machine (for
reporting purposes), regardless of how many different node names are used
on the machine or which network adapter is used to connect to the TSM
server, or which TSM servers the nodes connect to. So if I use nodes
STORMAN, ANDY, and RAIBECK to connect to a TSM server from my desktop
machine, all three nodes will have the same GUID. Similarly, if STORMAN,
ANDY, and RAIBECK connect to multiple TSM servers, each server will show
the same GUID for those three nodes.

If you use the same node name on multiple machines via the NODENAME
setting, then the server will show the GUID from the machine last used.
The activity log will show when a GUID has been changed via message
ANR1639I, like this:

   ANR1639I Attributes changed for node RAIBECK2: TCP Name
    from STORMAN to AMR-LAPTOP, TCP Address from 9.11.153.65
    to 192.168.0.2, GUID from 39.e6.b6.51.42.a4.11.d7.a9.d0.-
    00.09.6b.12.cc.9a to 51.08.b4.21.81.a9.11.d7.9e.07.00.d0-
    .59.83.d5.82.

If you use the same node name on multiple machines, but specified via
-VIRTUALNODENAME from the secondary machines, then the information for the
node name will not be changed.

As for your question about "consequences", there really aren't any. The
GUID is out there as a possible reporting field, but otherwise you can
safely disregard it. There is no impact on TSM operation.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

David Bronder <david-bronder AT uiowa DOT edu>
05/12/2003 16:34
Please respond to David Bronder