ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli GUID

2003-05-12 19:34:40
Subject: Re: Tivoli GUID
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:34:13 -0500
Richard Sims wrote:

> >This tells me what it is, but now where it's used for...
>
> The manuals don't come out and say what the GUID is for, but one can
> see its purpose...  These days, many hosts respond on multiple IP addresses
> and network names (Virtual IPs).  Discerning the actual identity of the
> connecting system becomes problematic.  Assigning a unique ID within an
> application allows ready identification.

My question about the GUID has to do with "virtual nodes".  I have lots
of systems with two node names, one for filesystem backups and the
other for API backups (TDP, Backtrack).  I also have nodes used by more
than one physical server (a manual NFS cluster, basically).  Actually,
in the latter case, the servers are also like the former case -- they
use their own name for OS backups and the shared name for the "cluster".

What are the consequences of a GUID being used for multiple nodes, or
for a node's GUID getting flip-flopped depending on which physical
server is connected using that node name (if that's even what would
happen)?  (I'm aware of the little bullet reference to using multiple
physical machines with the same GUID in the client manual, but it gives
no info about the impact of doing so.)

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa