ADSM-L

Re: amount of data on a tape

2003-05-08 16:56:22
Subject: Re: amount of data on a tape
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:55:41 -0500
What I have seen in the past is the compression value is dependent on what
you back up. For instance a volume that is not full yet will usually show an
estimated capacity of 70 gb. But it is basing that number on whatever was
placed in estimated capacity in the device class.

 But if you backup without compression or a lot of image files where
compression may not take place at all the amount of data on the tape is only
going to get to 35 - 40 gb. I have the same tapes and my db backups fill a
tape at 35 GB , but a File & Print system will fill a tape to 90 - 100 gb
because of higher compression.

Duane