ADSM-L

Re: Options for Windows 2K-XP limited backups

2003-05-08 13:46:22
Subject: Re: Options for Windows 2K-XP limited backups
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 12:45:19 -0500
Will they be attached to a server with some shared disk space ???
and will that server be backed up to TSM ?

If you only want to do something like backup their documents folder or just
their misc settings,
why not just use Window's backup stuff to back that limited amount of stuff
up to an area on the shared server disk space and pick it up with TSM from
there.

During the build of the boxes you could put schedules in place to perform
that backup action...

This way you could exclude the whole C drive pretty easy (as long as you
put the windows backup file somewhere else)

just a thought
Dwight

                      Bob Booth - UIUC
                      <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>         To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Options for Windows
2K-XP limited backups
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/08/2003 12:25
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Looking for best/easy practice here.  I will have 15 new Windows XP/2K
boxes
to backup, and the users are not computer experts.  The systems are across
campus in various departments, so I will have very limited access if at
all.

We do not want to backup the OS, etc.. but do want to backup say the
Desktop
settings, 'My Documents folder', Eudora selected directories and such.  I
am
going to push for the clients to be on the scheduler so.. What advise can
Windows backup experts give me for backing up just small portions of these
machines without having to spend a lot of time at the customer site?

I had one Windows box where I excluded the whole Cdrive, then included just
the directory that they wanted to backup.  Is this the best method?  Should
I be using a client option set and tell the users to give me the directory
names they want backed up? (they will all be *very* similar)

what is the most efficient inclexcl option for only backing up small
portions
of a windows C, D and E drives?  We are mainly a UNIX shop, and I can
usually
code inclexcl statements easily for them, but I seem to have a hard time
with
Microsoft clients.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bob