ADSM-L

GBs over WAN - ouch!

2003-05-07 08:31:51
Subject: GBs over WAN - ouch!
From: Douglas Currell <dlcurrell AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:31:20 -0400
My suspicions are that this problem that I have will
need to be addressed from an operating system/network
level but I thought that I would see would the TSM
community thought first.

The organization I work in has four main sites. If a
user from site A goes to site B and commences a backup
with TSM, the backup goes to the server specified in
his dsm.opt which is the TSM server in site A. This is
not a problem if it involves only a few MBs but some
users have attempted to backup one or two GBs over the
WAN - this is a problem. The organization has
responded inb kind by blocking the port so that remote
backups are simply not allowed.

This workaround is acceptable to the organization if
the user spends but a few days at Site B but a
solution must be found if the user should spend an
extended period at Site B.

The details: TSM Server level is at 5.1.15. Most
clients are at 4.1.3. and are on >Windows 98 - a
migration is ongoing to XP clients.

I know about subfile backup but that is not the
answer. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.