ADSM-L

More Storage Agent Questions

2003-05-06 16:07:51
Subject: More Storage Agent Questions
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:06:40 -0500
Server: TSM Server 4.2.1.7 running on AIX
Client: TSM Storage Agent 4.2.1.7, B/A Client 4.2.1.15, TDP Domino 1.1.2.0
running on WinNT 4.0

After I found some documentation on the web for installing and configuring
storage agent, I was finally able to get the storage agent service to start
and stay running on this client node.  If you recall in a previous email,
the storage agent was working on this node, but I changed the "nodename"
value in the TDPDomino's "dsm.opt" to be something different than the one
in the B/A Client's "dsm.opt".  I finally found the correct combination to
get this storage agent to function using the Domino "nodename" on a client
with a different "nodename".

But...
I read in the storage agent manual that one should "modify policy for the
client so the storage agent, acting on behalf of the client, is associated
with a storage pool that uses the drives on the SAN."
What I have configured is a copy group that points to a random disk storage
pool.  That random disk storage pool migrates to a tape storage pool (these
tapes are devices on the SAN), and the disk pool has a size threshold so
that larger files bypass the disk pool and go directly to tape.  Will this
work?  Will the larger databases that go directly to tape utilize the
storage agent and traverse the SAN instead of the LAN?  Or do I truly have
to assign a storage pool that uses tape devices in my copy group.

Note, the only documentation I found was for version 5.1, and I am using
version 4.2, if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.