ADSM-L

Re: Moving TSM from one AIX box to another

2003-05-06 09:22:26
Subject: Re: Moving TSM from one AIX box to another
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:20:52 -0500
In that sort of situation you could easily test...
If you don't have any tape drives on the new system yet (going to move
them) you may just create a device class with type FILE and do a db backup
to that, then ftp it over to the new box and do a restore.
Since you are doing a combination of move & upgrade you might end up having
to do something like shutdown tsm on the old system, ftp the db & log files
over to the new, then fire up tsm doing an upgradedb (if required or it
might happen automatically, I haven't looked at TSM 5.1 install stuff yet,
I'm still on 4.2)
that is, if the restore db in a 5.1 environment doesn't like the 4.1 backup
file...

Now if you have disks that are portable between the two systems... you
could just swing the disks over (as has been discussed many times on the
list before)
I've moved TSM servers from AIX box to AIX box (hardware upgrade) that way
many times... (well, 6 or 8 times anyway)

just some thoughts...

Dwight

                      Katherine Faella
                      <kmf AT URI DOT EDU>            To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Moving TSM from one
AIX box to another
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/06/2003 07:52
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi,

We are getting ready to move our TSM server from an AIX machine running TSM
4.1.3 to an AIX machine running TSM 5.1.5 (or 5.1.6??).  We will also be
moving our 3583 tape unit.

I have set up the new server and begun to play with it.  I haven't decided
the best way to move the database.  I don't really want to export/import
because I can move the data(tapes) directly to the new server.  Can I run a
backupdb/restoredb from TSM 4.1.3 to TSM 5.1.6?  Would this be the way to
go?  Then I could move the tape library over and ?? checkin ?? the library
volumes etc.  (This is where I am not clear how to proceed).

Any suggestions/gotchas/help!  ?

Thanks,
Kathy Faella
University of Rhode Island