ADSM-L

Re: BACKFM: ANS1245E (RC122) Format unknown Error

2003-05-02 07:18:32
Subject: Re: BACKFM: ANS1245E (RC122) Format unknown Error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:17:59 -0400
>I've found that the error may caused by API mismatching. The documents
>says that, if we are trying to restore files backed up with an Higher
>API level than we are using while restoring, the error occurs.
>Is this means that downward compatibility exist up upward compatibility
>doesn't exits.

This is a well-known aspect of the product, and is a natural thing...
As the client software evolves, through the introduction of new capabilities and
environmental accommodations, the format of the data as stored on the server has
to evolve, to add header fields and possibly change formatting.  Only the new
client level can understand the new data structures: should an older client be
confronted with such data structures, it is befuddled, and gives up with the
kind of error you experienced.  Suffice to say that if you commit to a new
client level, you REALLY have to commit to it.

  Richard Sims, BU