ADSM-L

Re: GIGE NIC

2003-04-30 12:52:54
Subject: Re: GIGE NIC
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:46:48 -0500
If the NICs are on the same network/netmask, you're out of luck -- by
definition, TCP/IP will use just one of them. This will be the lowest
number, and I don't remember if it's the IP address or the MAC address it
looks at for 'low number'.

OTOH, if these are different networks -- set your dsm.opt to reference a
server stanza in the dsm.sys with a tcpserveraddress to match the TSM server
GIG-E nic.

In my environment, I have four separate networks: public (global company
network); private (local computer room RS/6000s only); backup1 and backup2
(two separate gig-e cards in my tsm server and main sap server; several
other boxes have gig or 10/100 cards for backup1). The public is a 10.8.x.x
(netmask 255.255.0.0) and the others are 192.168.x.x (netmask
255.255.255.0). The dsm.sys has a server stanza for each, using DNS CNAMEs
for the network addresses, so we can play games at D/R where the hardware
config doesn't match our local config.

You should be able to see which card is in use by running netstat -i at both
ends while a backup is in process.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc