ADSM-L

TSM Server Restore.

2003-04-30 11:55:36
Subject: TSM Server Restore.
From: Dabney James <James.Dabney AT IRS DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:54:19 -0500
I am new to TSM so any help will be welcomed. We are in the process of
testing/documenting TSM in our lab getting TSM ready for an enterprise wide
rollout. I have run into a situation where the documentation I have on TSM
is a little vague or I have just been a slow learner. I need to do a TSM
Server restore to a point in time (log mode=normal) and all my data resides
on a STK 9730. This includes my devconfig, volhist, database & log backups -
everything. I have done a bare metal restore of the OS (NT 4) plus loaded
all the code for TSM only I have not initialized + configured the server for
fear that this will render my data on tape useless.

The documentation I have read mainly talks about commands that need to be
run but not the preparation that must be done up to this point for my
particular situation. Do I install/configure TSM as if it was a fresh
install then run these commands, except the tape labeling evolution that is
of course.

Can anyone point me to any documentation that might help? Can this be
accomplished without a DRM plan in place? I can easily rebuild this server
because it is in the lab but that does not help me in the event of a
catastrophic failure when it is rolled out to production, I am trying to
learn this product as much as possible before it goes prime time.

My environment is NT 4 SP 6
                           TSM 5.1.5.0

Thanks,
James Dabney
IBM / IRS
Desk:512.460.8369
Cell:512.789.6147
james.dabney AT irs DOT gov <mailto:james.dabney AT irs DOT gov>