ADSM-L

expire logical logs Informix TSM

2003-04-29 06:42:49
Subject: expire logical logs Informix TSM
From: "kurt.beyers AT pandora DOT be" <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:42:26 +0200
Hello everybody,

An old problem but I still don't know a good solution for it.

I'm backing up an Informix IDS 7.31 UD2X7 database on AIX 5.1 (32 bit) using
the TDP 4.1.3 for Informix. The BA client is 5.1.5.15 and the TSM server
(running on the same server as the Informix) is 5.1.6.4

How do the backup of the logical logs get expired in TSM?

The logical logs get a unique name so they never expire due to the versioning
limit in the management class.

I've been browsing the list a bit and possible solutions are:

-use the onsmsync tool of Informix to expire the logical logs in TSM
-use the C-program expire.c found on this list
-use a specific management class but what settings myst be applied (versions
data exists:1, versions data deleted:1, remain extra versions: 0 days, remain
only version: y days)?

So what is the elegant way to get rid of the no longer needed logical logs in
TSM? There isn't much (ie nothing) mentioned about it in the install&user guide
of the TDP or neither in the redbook 'Using ADSM to backup databases'.

Thanks in advance for any hints / guidelines.

regards,

Kurt