ADSM-L

Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments

2003-04-28 10:04:28
Subject: Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:03:57 -0700
Mmmmmmmm..... I don't think the asterisk is the problem, as Windows
doesn't have the same expansion issue that Unix does.

I think the problem is in the syntax used for the OBJECTS parameter:

   OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\578 BACKUPS\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\1263 BACKUP\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182MAN BACKUP\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182SYSTEM BACKUP\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISPS SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* "' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISUM SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* "' -

Rather than enclosing each file specification in double and single quotes,
each file spec should be enclosed in a pair of double quotes, then the
entire set of file specs enclosed in a pair of single quotes, like this:

   OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\578 BACKUPS\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\1263 BACKUP\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\182MAN BACKUP\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\182SYSTEM BACKUP\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISPS SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISUM SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* "' -

The asterisk isn't really necessary, though, so this could be slightly
shortened to:

   OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\578 BACKUPS\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\1263 BACKUP\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\182MAN BACKUP\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\182SYSTEM BACKUP\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISPS SPT DATABASE BACKUP\ " -
   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISUM SPT DATABASE BACKUP\ "' -

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
04/28/2003 05:42