ADSM-L

How to deal with quotes in TSM server scripts?

2003-04-27 12:40:56
Subject: How to deal with quotes in TSM server scripts?
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:40:26 +0000
Environment: TSM server 5.1.5.4 on AIX 5.1 ML03 / 660-6H1, and TSM client
5.1.5.14/15 on various platforms.

I wanted to define a script, say, like this:

tsm> define script numoff description='Calculate number of offsite tapes to'-
     ' go out'
tsm> update script numoff 'select count(*) as "Number of offsite tapes ready to
go" from volumes where stgpool_name='OFFSITE_COPY''

That doesn't seem to work because there are two sets of single quote marks
and I can't quite figure out how one might protect it or prevent immediate
evaluation/parsing.

Doing it as:

tsm> update script numoff 'select count(*) as "Number of offsite tapes ready to
go" from volumes where stgpool_name=\'OFFSITE_COPY\''

doesn't seem to work, either.

It would be accepted if I changed "Number of offsite tapes..." to 'Number
of offsite tapes...' (double to single quotes) but then that would generate
a run-time error due to not being a SQL string data type, I believe.

And so on for various permutations I've tried. Any suggestions on how one
might make the quoting work or am I just SOL?

-Dan