ADSM-L

Re: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?

2003-04-25 13:55:11
Subject: Re: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:54:44 +0000
Hot Diggety! David E Ehresman was rumored to have written:
> >Just a thought... but 70 TB for $435,000 on disk sounds interesting.
> Just
> >get some small tape libraries for making offsite copy pools.
>
> You're going to use  **small** tape libraries for making offsite copies
> of 70TB?

Well...'small' is subjective and might have a different meaning to a
TSM admin working in a very large shop. :) But some quick calculations
lead me to believe this is probably doable with a single LTO-2 library
frame -- 70 TB of uncompressed data yields about 350 tapes; much less
with any sort of reasonable compression (I'd guess 1.75:1 to 2:1).

And that's just for the initial full backups; incrementals might take
a lot less space depending on if they're all client database files or
not. (Not all sites have the money to buy something like TDP or
Veritas's DB Edition or a third party driver to transmit only changed
data)

On the other hand, bottleneck might be diskpool write rate or network
transmit bandwidth rather than tape library size?

-Dan