ADSM-L

Re: DR test....issues

2003-04-23 11:29:41
Subject: Re: DR test....issues
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:29:09 -0400
1. Disk pool.  Disk pools are not recreated by default with DRM
DR scenario.  If you had files on original system ONLY on disk pool
and not on a COPY TAPE pool, then there is no way to recreate/restore
from DR.

2.  Using two sessions looking for one tape.  This is normal ops.  If
onsite
you haven't had this then most likely you go directly to tape from
client
sessions and then the "backup stg" process to make COPY tapes combines
on one tape, therefore at DR site multiple sessions are looking for one
tape.

3.  Only better way to get inbfo about which tapes are needed is to
open
a window and use "dsmadmc -console", this displays console messages
and you will see immediately when and what tape is needed next without
having to do q actlog constantly.  No way to get full list of tapes
needed for a restore that I know of.

We all have these issues at DR!

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Raminder.Braich AT DAVEY DOT COM 04/23/03 11:10AM >>>
Hi,
        We did our first DR test last week. Overall it was a good test
as
it exposed a lot of deficiencies in our process. A little summary
follows
and a few questions. The environment TSM server 4.1.2.0(WIN 2000),
clients
4.1.2.0(NT) SAP R/3 3.1 I, TDP for R/3  3.1.0.5.
We installed Win2K on the TSM server, The server had three 3590 drives
attached, while at home we have a 3494 with 4 3590 tape drives.
Installed
the TSM server 4.1.2.0. Copied devcnfg, volhist files. Changed devcnf
reflect new drives and library as manual. Restored the database. Then
marked the primary tapepool volumes as destroyed and offsite volumes
as
readonly.
        We restored a client(BMR). However the client missed lots of
files
especially in adsm.sys folder which contains the registry.  This client
is
backed up to diskpool. Note I did not mark diskpool as destroyed.
Should I
have done that?? I am not sure how diskpool is handled in DR test
situation. If it is marked destroyed how is it restored?
        Another client was restored which runs R/3 and Oracle. We tried
restore the Oracle DB with brrestore. This client is supposed to mount
2
volumes for brbackup and brrestore. However at the test the settings
did
say maxmountpoints as 2 but it loaded only one tape. There were two
sessions but only one tape. Looked like both the sessions wanted to
read
from the same tape. It was very inefficient as one session had to wait
about 45 minutes to restore the datafile. My question is why was only
one
tape loaded and why were both the sessions reading from the same tape?
We
have done various restores at home and never had this problem.
        Another question is to how to figure out which volume is needed
by
a client since it was a manual library. I had to check the activity
log
every minute to figure that out. Is there a better way to figure the
volumes needed by a client.
Any and all suggestions a re welcome....

Thanks,
Raminder Braich
SAP, ORACLE/DBA
The Davey Tree Expert Company
Ohio.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/23/2003 11:30:59 AM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.