ADSM-L

Re: AW: Client Options Sets

2003-04-22 23:28:12
Subject: Re: AW: Client Options Sets
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:27:43 -0700
Hi Greg,

The answer to you "side note" question is in my prior reply on this thread
(see below) starting with the line "As to why it works this way...".

Restating the answer differently:

If you omit DOMAIN from dsm.opt, then the it defaults to DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL.
Let's call this the "base" domain (this is not official TSM terminology,
just a term I'm using here to help facilitate the explanation).

If you specify one or more DOMAIN statements in dsm.opt, then those become
the base domain.

DOMAIN statements are cumulative. So the following statement in dsm.opt"

   DOMAIN C: D: E:

is equivalent to:

   DOMAIN C:
   DOMAIN D:
   DOMAIN E:

or

   DOMAIN C: D:
   DOMAIN E:

etc.

Any DOMAIN statements specified outside of dsm.opt (i.e. from the command
line, or from the OPTIONS parameter in a schedule definition, or from a
client options set) are added to the base domain. They do not replace the
base domain.

In your case, you do not have any DOMAIN statement in dsm.opt. Therefore
the base domain is ALL-LOCAL. Specifying DOMAIN D: via the client options
set is equivalent to coding this in dsm.opt:

   DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
   DOMAIN D:

which on your system effectively amounts to:

   DOMAIN C: D: SYSTEMOBJECT

Note that SYSTEMOBJECT is included in ALL-LOCAL, and the DOMAIN D: is
redundant since it is already part of ALL-LOCAL.

Specifying DOMAIN -C: D: via the client options set is equivalent to
coding this in dsm.opt:

   DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
   DOMAIN -C: D:

which effectively amounts to this:

   DOMAIN SYSTEMOBJECT D:

This is why you were seeing D: and the system objects getting backed up.

Adding DOMAIN -SYSTEMOBJECT to your client options set (along with the -C:
and D: is the same as coding this in dsm.opt:

   DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
   DOMAIN -C: D: -SYSTEMOBJECT

which effectively amounts to this:

   DOMAIN D:

Hope this helps.

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Greg Redell <GRedell AT GWL DOT COM>
04/22/2003 13:28