ADSM-L

Re: DB growth.

2003-04-22 10:48:42
Subject: Re: DB growth.
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:47:48 -0500
Also Windows 2000 System States can create large amount of bloating.  I have
copied in an email from a Tivoli Rep about Win2k System Objects and you can
search the adsm mailing list for "INCLUDE.SYSTEMOBJECT ALL <mgmtclass>" and
acquire info about keeping them under control

The reason I asked about system objects is that this information is used to
size and set policy for Win2k servers.  System Objects are very large and
are backed up full every day and unless specified by TSM policy are kept
for as long as the rest of the data if you do not exclude them from the
backups.  To give you an idea of why this is important, on a new Win2k
server with no applications on it the system objects are 250 MB in size and
consist of 2,000 to 3,000 files and on larger systems they can be up to 1
GB in size and have several thousand files in them.  Most customers do not
restore system files that are more than a few days old, so best practice is
to keep 10 days or so and we can do this with TSM by excluding them from
the daily backups and including them to their own management class with a
10 day retention.  This saves a lot of space in tape and helps reduce the
TSM database size.  If you have a reason to keep them for 30 or 60 days you
can, but in my experience for most customers this is just a waste of space.
This is just one of the ways TSM's extensive policy based administration
can save money, time and administrative over head.  Once the policy change
is made, TSM manages them for you.

Hope this helps