ADSM-L

Re: FAStT700 RAID 0,1,3,5? for DB and Stgpools.

2003-04-15 15:03:21
Subject: Re: FAStT700 RAID 0,1,3,5? for DB and Stgpools.
From: Adolph Kahan <akahan AT ICA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:02:54 -0400
I would not recommend RAID 5 for the stgpools. While backing up data TSM
will only be doing writes to the stgpools and with RAID 5 you pay a
performance penalty for each write.  I would just make this RAID 0. I've
done some tests with various RAID adapters and in each case I found that
RAID 0 for the stgpools, provided better backup throughput than the RAID
5 implementation.

Adolph Kahnan
AK Consulting Inc.