ADSM-L

Re: Limitation of TSM DB Volumes

2003-04-12 08:51:21
Subject: Re: Limitation of TSM DB Volumes
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:31:35 -0500
I actually tested this. Striping is very, very bad for the TSM Database.
1:1 is best.

TSM Database I/O is totally random. Response time is much more important
than throughput - it never transfers a large amount of data in a single
operation. It's all small amounts of data, scattered randomly across the
entire database. Therefore trying to get several physical disks working
at once to do one I/O operation just slows things down. It's faster to
move only one arm for one I/O, and let the other arms move for other
threads simultaneously. Most of the "experts" you talk to will focus on
Throughput, which is why they are wrong about the TSM Database. I had
those same experts telling me how to do things in my shop, which is why
I actually tried striping, and found out that it ran a lot slower.

However, you are correct that the Log and Storage Pool volumes are
different than the database. Especially in the case of Storage Pool
volumes, you want throughput. Let our experts have their way here.