ADSM-L

Geographically diverse TSM server??

2003-04-11 12:24:23
Subject: Geographically diverse TSM server??
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:23:56 -0400
Greetings, all.

I'm working on a plan to accomplish the charge to back up a database such that
"No committed transaction is lost", in the case of a disaster.  Beginning to
noodle around the corner cases of the process, it occurred to me that a SAN
environment could make for several interesting possibilities.  For example,
how many of you:

- Put the various mirrors of your database volumes in different buildings?

- Mirror (at the OS level) storage pool volumes?
  (of course, I'm talking here about different buildings too)

Would those of you who have sharks choose shark-y replication before you'd do
these other things?

The trick is that, as soon as TSM feels that it's finished storing a file, I
need to be confident that a single-site disaster will _not_ lose me the file
(for this particular class of file: DB/2 Transaction logs...)  That means the
storage pool, the DB, the DB logs, everything needs to be at least a little
geographically diverse -right- -then-.

- Allen S. Rout