ADSM-L

Re: Require a means of performing AIX makesysb remotely.

2003-04-10 19:35:48
Subject: Re: Require a means of performing AIX makesysb remotely.
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:22:09 +1000
Jim,

See the TSM 5.2 announcement for the integration of SYSBACK for AIX with TSM.
(look in the archives at www.adsm.org earlier this week for a link)
However, you don't really need it for AIX boxes.

AIX comes standard with NIM, a rather nifty product which allows you to install
operating systems, apply maintenance etc etc across the network.
You can take an AIX mksysb to disk on the NIM server (which is just an
additional function on one of your AIX boxes) and then use NIM to restore it.
Just use TSM to keep the mksysb images backed up on tape until you need them.

There is also jumpstart for Solaris which performs a similar function in that
environment but my Solaris knowledge is limited so I'll leave others to comment.

Regards

Steve.

AIX and TSM Administrator
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> jimtsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM 11/04/2003 8:41:41 >>>
My client is presently a NetBackup shop.  They are not to happy with the
solution.  One of their main problems is that their AIX and some SUN boxes
do not have external tape drives or operations staff on site.

I think I can convince them on bringing in TSM if I can come up with, even a
partial, solution to this problem.  What is the closest I can get to
providing these system backups and using TSM.

Most AIX is at 4.3.3 some at 5.1.  Present library is a IBM LTO
358(something) with 10 drives on a SAN with 2 ESS(Sharks).

Thanks

JT

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.