ADSM-L

Defining Schedules with Options

2003-04-10 18:50:47
Subject: Defining Schedules with Options
From: Peter Ford <PFord AT STENTOR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:50:28 -0700
I need some advice on defining schedules for backing up specific files off
client machines, at a specific time.  I have read the Administrator's Reference
on defining client schedules but want to make sure that I understand this
correctly.

Every day, we backup either a full or differential backup from 3 SQL databases,
to specific directories.  These files are bound to specific management classes,
to make sure we retain the proper number of versions.  I want to define a
schedule that will backup only these files, and bind each to their specific
Management Class.  We backup the remaining files on the server using options
specified in the dsm.opt, using another schedule.

def schedule standard once_a_day_schedule type=client
        desc="Daily backup of SQL backups"
        action=Incremental
        objects="exclude *\...\*
        include e:\sqlbackups\db1\*.bak FULLBACKUPS
        include e:\sqlbackups\db2\*.bak DIFFBACKUPS"
        startdate=04/10/2003 starttime=00:30
        duration=12 durunits=hours period=1 perunits=days
        day=any

If I define the schedule above, will I backup these files once a day and bind
them to the specified management classes?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter

    Peter Ford
    System Engineer