ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2 Announced

2003-04-08 11:26:12
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2 Announced
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:25:49 -0400
Reading the announcement indicates that 5.2 is an "evolutionary" release,
which is to say that it introduces modest, desirable enhancements rather
than dramatic changes.  This bodes well for stability and maintainability.

One thing that somewhat annoyed me in the announcement was under
"Improved Tivoli Storage Manager serviceability", which says
"Tracing is an invaluable tool for problem determination, and has been in
the product since its inception.", as though suggesting that it has always
been there for customer use.  The latest Trace Facility Guide manual, of
4.2 vintage, stipulates "...not for customer use".  I'm rather incredulous
that IBM still holds this view, as any reading of ADSM-L would show IBM
management that customers desperately need readily applicable tracing
methods to track down performance issues.  Could someone in IBM pass on
to the appropriate decision makers that customers need some subset of
tracing tools in order to effectively administer the product?  Thanks.

  Richard Sims, BU     http://people.bu.edu/rbs