ADSM-L

Re: restore to a different node (part 2)

2003-04-07 17:57:49
Subject: Re: restore to a different node (part 2)
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:57:12 -0700
Yes, your explanation is more or less correct. In addition, even if we
attempted to put the data back on a different file system, some of it just
wouldn't be understandable. For example, a lot of Windows files have
multiple streams of data ("named streams"), a concept that is foreign, as
far as I know, to most non-Windows systems (Mac does have a similar
concept with a different implementation). Another example: NetWare backup
objects are wrapped in the Novell-proprietary SIDF format (see my earlier
response on this thread) so that other OS's wouldn't know how to take them
apart.

We have studied this matter on several occasions, but for a number of
reasons, this capability just isn't feasible/practical.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
04/07/2003 14:40