ADSM-L

Looking for Help/Alternatives/Suggestions/Ideas

2003-04-07 14:05:19
Subject: Looking for Help/Alternatives/Suggestions/Ideas
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:04:55 -0400
As you may recall, we had a hardware failure, last week, that is requiring
a restore of 250GB+ comprised of 20Million files (the # of files seems to
be more important than the size) from TSM.

>From the various suggestions, we have upgraded the TSM client to the
latest (5.1.5.15) and are running multiple sessions/restore streams (can't
seem to get multiple restore streams from 1-session to work, eventhough we
have tweaked MAXNUMMP and RESOURCEUTILZATION).

We are now a week into our restore processing. Unfortunately, no matter
what we do, it will still take 10-15 additional days to restore this
system.  There are 8000+ users without their old email.

Obviously, this has highly upset everyone involved (would you like to be
told your e-mail won't be available for 3-weeks or more ??????).

Yes, I have called IBM/Tivoli and gone over various TSM server settings,
etc (when I described the situation and the size of the TSM backups, the
response I got was WOW!).  There is nothing more that can be done from the
TSM server perspective, that would speed things up.  In fact, most of the
slowness seems to be on the AIX server disk subsystem (seems to be 100%
busy most of the time).

>From the managements (and probably everyone else who can't get to their
email) perspective, this is not an acceptible situation/response.  Any
thoughts of recovering this plus 96 other TSM clients from a true disaster
(i.e. the building goes up in flames) in anything short of a month, have
gone out the window.

Due to this situation, TSM is fast loosing face as a viable DR tool
(eventhough immediate management realized that a lot of the slowdown is
the AIX system and the sheer number of files).

So, where is this leading to.........

I am looking for help/suggestions/recommendations from other folks who may
or may not be using TSM in a DR situation, that has anything even remotely
similar to this environment.

What is the largest client (both in file size and # files) that anyone is
backing up and has attempted to do a DR restore ?

Has anyone attempted to restore such a large client ?

Are there any guidelines on the # files TSM should be backing up for any
one client ?