ADSM-L

Re: How many copies in copypool?

2003-04-05 22:58:59
Subject: Re: How many copies in copypool?
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 06:53:30 +0300
Quote from Admin's Ref. for BAckup STGpool :
"If a file already exists in the copy storage pool, the file is not backed
up unless ..."

TSM implements incremental-forever to storage pool backup same as for
client backups. A list of "objects" to be backed up is created comparing
contents of the primary pool and existence of copy in the copy pool. If
the copy does exist the object is not included in the run. Each file
version is treated as separate object within the TSM server DB and is
tracked by internal ObjectID not by name.
You can find the proof yourself:
1. create small diskpool and backup some data there
2. backup diskpool contents to a copy pool
3. create a tape pool and migrate test diskpool data there
4. invoke backup of tape pool to the same copy pool
The tape pool backup will finish in less than a second with result 0 files
backed up - all data already has copies and incremental algorithm has
nothing to do.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Kai Hintze <kai.hintze AT ALBERTSONS DOT COM>
04.04.2003 21:12