ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Mainframe

2003-04-03 19:11:56
Subject: Re: TSM on Mainframe
From: Gordon Christie <gordon.christie AT CENTRELINK.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:56:00 +1000
I guess it all depends on what the organisation already has.  Althought I
am not directly involved with the backup where I work, we have over 450
sites around Australia backing up via TSM to one of about 6 mainframes.
These mainframes are located at one of 2 locations in Canberra.  The Tapes
are in large Tape silos which hold several thousand tapes each.  There are
about 11 of these silos at both sites combined.  This solution was designed
as to utilise the tape silos which was becomming less and less utilised I
believe.  This has been functioning in this manner for over 3 years.

For my organisation it has cost benifits based on the use of the silos,.
It is relative automatic, and does not require human intervention for the
Tapes.

Gordon Christie
CDSM
Centrelink
Australia.

                      "Wholey, Joseph
                      (IDS DM&DS)"             To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <JWholey@EXCHANGE        cc:
                      .ML.COM>                 Subject:  Re: TSM on Mainframe
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/04/2003 06:10
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Bad... total cost of ownership is too high.  Too many fingers in the pie
(tape group, dasd group, TCPIP group, operations etc...  When you begin to
figure out total cost of ownership, you have to add
all of these support teams into the equation, not to mention the internal
charge (funny money) for MIPS usage on the mainframe that you'll incur. TSM
will also be at the mercy of the mainframe IPL
schedule as well, which typically is on Saturday night into Sunday morning
(a window that you really want open for your large archives or db backups)

If you're on any other platform, your costs should drop significantly.
e.g.  If you have a P690, you have 1 SA managing that server.  You don't
need nearly the staff that you'd require for a
mainframe solution.  How often does an AIX or Sun machine have to be taken
down for maintenance? (not often).  And finally, a P690's I/O is comparable
to a mainframes.

If you get the budget, go with a big Unix system.  Run screaming from the
mainframe solution.  You'll save a lot of headaches and meetings.  Just my
opinion.

Regards, Joe