ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Mainframe

2003-04-03 18:04:25
Subject: Re: TSM on Mainframe
From: "Wholey, Joseph (IDS DM&DS)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:10:26 -0500
Bad... total cost of ownership is too high.  Too many fingers in the pie (tape
group, dasd group, TCPIP group, operations etc...  When you begin to figure out
total cost of ownership, you have to add
all of these support teams into the equation, not to mention the internal
charge (funny money) for MIPS usage on the mainframe that you'll incur. TSM
will also be at the mercy of the mainframe IPL
schedule as well, which typically is on Saturday night into Sunday morning (a
window that you really want open for your large archives or db backups)

If you're on any other platform, your costs should drop significantly.  e.g.
If you have a P690, you have 1 SA managing that server.  You don't need nearly
the staff that you'd require for a
mainframe solution.  How often does an AIX or Sun machine have to be taken down
for maintenance? (not often).  And finally, a P690's I/O is comparable to a
mainframes.

If you get the budget, go with a big Unix system.  Run screaming from the
mainframe solution.  You'll save a lot of headaches and meetings.  Just my
opinion.

Regards, Joe