ADSM-L

Re: NEED HELP - Restore performance

2003-04-01 18:11:43
Subject: Re: NEED HELP - Restore performance
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:11:13 -0500
Zoltan,

You've probably tried this already, but just in case...have you cranked up
resourceutilization and maxnummp?

Maybe no-query restores?

Just a thought...

-Lloyd

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:45:46 -0500
Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> wrote:

> This is a zOS TSM 4.2.3.2 server.   The client server is AIX 4.3 with
> TSM client 4.2.3.0
>
> We had a recent hardware failure/disaster which resulted in a complete
> wipe of 250GB+ of storage on an AIX 4.3 system.  To complicate matters,
> this is one of our email system, with 22-MILLION files comprising the
> 250GB.
>
> So, we start the *BIG* restore.  To put it quaintly, restore performance
> sucks.    We are averaging .5GB per hour.  At this rate, it will take
> 15-20 DAYS !
>
> I have gone through the "TSM Performance Tuning" guide, to no avail. I
> had pretty much done everything the book suggests, long ago, with the
> exception of pagefixing storage for the VSAM/BSAM reads.
>
> Even checked its recommendations for the AIX system for things like
> TCPIP settings, etc.
>
> The AIX system is hardly breathing hard, when it comes to CPU
> utilization.
>
> What can I look at to do anything I can to speed things up ?
>
> Can I run multiple restores of different filesystems ?

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267