ADSM-L

NEED HELP - Restore performance

2003-04-01 17:45:59
Subject: NEED HELP - Restore performance
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:45:46 -0500
This is a zOS TSM 4.2.3.2 server.   The client server is AIX 4.3 with TSM
client 4.2.3.0

We had a recent hardware failure/disaster which resulted in a complete
wipe of 250GB+ of storage on an AIX 4.3 system.  To complicate matters,
this is one of our email system, with 22-MILLION files comprising the
250GB.

So, we start the *BIG* restore.  To put it quaintly, restore performance
sucks.    We are averaging .5GB per hour.  At this rate, it will take
15-20 DAYS !

I have gone through the "TSM Performance Tuning" guide, to no avail. I had
pretty much done everything the book suggests, long ago, with the
exception of pagefixing storage for the VSAM/BSAM reads.

Even checked its recommendations for the AIX system for things like TCPIP
settings, etc.

The AIX system is hardly breathing hard, when it comes to CPU utilization.

What can I look at to do anything I can to speed things up ?

Can I run multiple restores of different filesystems ?