ADSM-L

Re: Copy job "freezed"

2003-04-01 07:21:32
Subject: Re: Copy job "freezed"
From: "Emil S. Hansen" <esh AT POP3.BIT DOT DK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:21:28 +0200
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 06:07:46PM +0200, PAC Brion Arnaud wrote:
> Could anybody explain me why I consistently see "backup stg" jobs "freezing"
> ? What happens is that the job begins, but thereafter hangs for a while,
> doing nothing at all, and suddenly starts copying data on tape. I saw this
> behavior on severall flavors of TSM (actually on 4.2.3.1), without finding
> any good reason for it. Tape drives are available, other copy jobs for other
> pools are starting o.k., and this happens randomly on all storage pools.

Mine does the same, and it is not a drive problem, it is simply becuase
TSM has to scan all objects in the storagepool being backed up, to see if
they have been backed up or a copy should be made. For big storage pools
that can take quite some time, and especially if running at the same
time as expiration or other DB heavy activity.

--
Best Regards
Emil S. Hansen - esh AT pop3.bit DOT dk - ESH14-DK

"Gravity can not be held responsible for people falling in love."
- Albert Einstein