ADSM-L

Max Processes

2003-03-25 11:18:18
Subject: Max Processes
From: Stanfield Alejandro <AStanfie AT PECOM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:14:56 -0300
When doing BACKUP STGPOOL has anyone experimented with setting the
MaxProcess to a number greater than the available number of drives at that
moment hoping to use more drives after they become available?
We have several stgpools which we start backing up in parallel but, as
expected, some jobs randomly finish earlier than others, that leaves some
drives idle which could be used for other backup stgpool commands already in
progress, this I presume should improve throughput.
Has anyone tried this?
Or do you just sequence all backup stgpools making each use the maximum
number of drives?